Turkey – Popular Filming Plato for Producers from Hollywood
By In News On January 12, 2013
In 2012, Turkey has literally become a Plato for filmmakers from Hollywood.
The efforts exerted to promote the countries history and natural beauty was achieved in an unexpected way. According to data from 2012, production companies from 36 different countries chose to shoot in Turkey. These included 254 feature films, documentaries, television programs and music video productions which were shot in cities like Istanbul, Konya, Nevsehir, Antalya, Mardin and Diyarbakir together with various other areas of the Anatolian lands.
The USA, England, Germany, France, Armenia, Iran, India, Russia, Qatar, The United Arab Emirates, Nigeria, and the Netherlands were amongst the many countries who applied for filming permits from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
The top priority of the Ministry has been to issue permits for productions, which promote and showcase Turkey’s natural, historic and cultural beauties together with the countries global image.
Data obtained from last year from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism show that England (44), Germany (30), France (26), U.S. (19), and the Netherlands (13) had applied and was issued permits for filming in Turkey. In addition to these countries a total of 31 other nations applications were submitted and were successfully issued permits.
The production which brought in a major media buzz was from the Britain’s James Bond – Skyfall.
In addition to the Bond film, producers from the UK also filmed the documentary of The Life of The Worlds Tallest Man; Sultan Kösen,
together with 50 Years of Bond Carriages.
Makers of the 36 countries filmmed documentaries and television programs focusing on Turkish cuisine, The Marmaray Project, historical-tourism places, mosques, regattas, the Turkish workers, silk road, train rides, camel wrestling, fashion and travel.
Here are some of the outstanding productions:
- James Bond Skyfall, Cinema, film, Great Britain, London, Adana, Izmir, Kayseri, Erzurum, Artvin
- Islam, Sufism and the Prophet. Rumi, Documentary, France, Istanbul, Konya, Turkey
- The World’s Tallest Man, Documentary, England, Mardin, Diyarbakir
- 50 Years of Bond Carriages, Documentary, UK, London
- 7 Biblical Church, Documentary, USA, Istanbul, Izmir, Manisa, Denizli, Turkey
- Ancient Greek Cities, Orthodox Churches, Documentary, Greece, Istanbul, Turkey
- Returning home, Documentary – Armenia, Istanbul
- Suleiman the Magnificent, Documentary, France, Istanbul, Turkey
- Turkish Tulip, Documentary, The Netherlands, Istanbul, Turkey
- Isparta Rose, Documentary, Qatar, Isparta, Turkey
- Sinners, Cinema, film, Iran, Istanbul, Turkey
- Jobs in the world, Documentary, Singapore, Istanbul, Cappadocia
- Line Out, Documentary, Finland, Istanbul, Turkey, Kars, Istanbul